A Washington, DC, Tradition Since 1873
The Olde Heurich (HI-rick) Brewing Company is successor to the Chr. Heurich Brewing Co., which was founded near Dupont Circle in Washington, DC, on August 2, 1873, by German immigrant Christian Heurich. Within ten years, Heurich's brewery had become the most successful and the largest of the more than twenty that operated in the nation's capital during the late 19th Century. This growth led to Heurich's construction of a larger brewery in 1894 that encompassed over two blocks on the Potomac River in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood of Washington.
Second Factory, constructed in 1894

 

Employees in 1885

 

Heurich's pioneering spirit left an imprint on America's brewing industry. Always putting the quality of his beer first, he was one of the first to adopt new technology as it became available, and was one of the first industry leaders to embrace pasteurization as a method of ensuring shelf life and transportability for beer.

Knowing that his beers were pure, Heurich fought successfully to have that acknowledged publicly by the Federal government after it had published a finding that most of the beers brewed by local brewers had been found to contain impurities. He also lobbied Congress to omit beer and wine from the 18th (Prohibition) Amendment, but this time he was not as successful.

After repeal of Prohibition, the Chr. Heurich Brewing Co. continued as an innovator in the American brewing industry. The Chr. Heurich Brewing Co. marketed 13 different brands of beer throughout its 83 years in business, but its most successful products were a variety of styles under the popular Heurich, Senate, and Old Georgetown brand names.

Under the direction of the founder's son, Christian Heurich, Jr., in 1934 it pioneered the use of special holiday packaging for beer, in 1949 it developed one of the country's first malt liquors, an elegant and upscale product marketed under the Champeer name.

Champeer Malt Liqour and Horse Carriage